The Kingdom of Cambodia (Kingdom of Wonder), formerly known as Kampuchea (/kæmpuːˈtʃiːə/, ព្រះរាជាណាចក្រកម្ពុជា Preăh Réachéa Nachâk Kâmpŭchea), is a country in South East Asia with a population of over 14 million people. The kingdom's capital and largest city is Phnom Penh.
Cambodia is the successor state of the once powerful Hindu and Buddhist Khmer Empire, which ruled most of the Indochinese Peninsula between the 11th and 14th centuries.
A citizen of Cambodia is usually identified as "Cambodian" or "Khmer," though the latter strictly refers to ethnic Khmers. Most Cambodians are Theravada Buddhists of Khmer extraction, but the country also has a substantial number of predominantly Muslim Cham, as well as ethnic Chinese, Vietnamese and small animist hill tribes.
- Language: Official is Khmer. English and French are widely spoken and practical in conducting businesses.
- Main Religion: Buddhism (Theravada)
- Population: 14.8 million (UN, 2005)
- Ethnic group: Khmer, Vietnamese and Chinese minorities
- Monetary unit: 1 Riel = 100 sens.
- Currency: Riel is an official currency. Dollars, Visa Card, Master Card, American Express and traveler's cheques in dollars are widely accepted
- Climate: tropical humid climate: rainy (monsoon) season (May to November) and dry season (December to April)
- Capital: Phnom Penh
- Major Cities: Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Sihanouk Ville, Koh Kong
- Area: 181,035 sq km (69,898 sq miles) : Water 2.5%
- Cambodia’s geographic coordinates are 13 00 N, 105 00 E
- Border countries: Laos 541 km, Thailand 803 km, Vietnam 1,228 km
- Independence: 09 November 1953
- Coastline: 443 km
- GNI per capital: US $380 (World Bank)
- Major Exports: Garments, Fisheries Products, Rubber
- Major Export Trading Countries: United States, Germany, UK, Singapore, Japan
- Major Imports: petroleum products, construction materials, vehicles and motorcycles, clothing
- Major Import Trading Countries: Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, China, South Korea
- Internet domain: .kh
- International dialing code: +855
- Electricity: 220V AC 50 Hz
- Driving: Right hand side; International Driving Permit required
- Direct Flight: from Bangkok, Taipei, Hong Kong, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh City, Vientiane, Kuala Lumpur, and Guangzhou.
- Airport Tax: International departures: US$25. All other domestic destinations US$5
- Communication: Mobile phones are widely used. Phone cards can be used on both mobile and regular telephones. Public phones with phone cards are common in Phnom Penh. Phone cards can be purchased at most hotels, post offices and supermarkets.
K-CarRental.com | Your Reliable Car Rental Service!